Tips for Producing a Great Promo Video and Marketing with it:
There have been several game changers in the ways that a camp can market itself over the past decade, with YouTube being one of the biggest. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a video tells the whole story! While producing a video is not rocket science, most camp directors learn the hard way that it is not any easy task if you do not have the right team assembled.
1. Less is more, so keep the video length under 10 minutes. Average human attention spans have declined from 12 seconds to 8 seconds over the last decade, making the attention span of a Goldfish longer at 9 seconds. Keep this sad (but true) statistic in mind when deciding whether to add more, or take some shots out.
2. Use a GoPro or other Waterproof HD Camera to catch all of the action in a first person point of view. Point Of View shots really help the viewer feel like they are part of the action!
3. Use different filters and transitional effects to make the video more interesting. A video with lots of energy will really grab the viewers' attention and keep them engaged for the full 5-10 minutes.
4. Hire a professional videographer and get it done right the first time! Once the summer has past, you will not have the chance to film it again if the quality of the video is not where it needs to be.
5. The Editing will make or break the video, so be sure that your editor knows what they are doing!
6. Create a custom Youtube page with the look and feel of your website. Make sure that each description has links to your site and provides the right keywords and phrases for you camp.
7. Embed the promo video on your homepage! This will be one of your biggest selling tools, so make it easy for people to find it.